The Director of Compensation, Payroll & Benefits will serve as a strategic partner in designing, implementing, communicating, and administering Vita Coco’s compensation programs, benefit programs and payroll for our salaried workforce. The Director of Pay & Benefits will report into the People Team Lead and support Leadership by designing and leading programs that (i) support long- and short-term performance of the organization, (ii) are effective in attracting, rewarding, and retaining key talent, and (iii) comply with local legal and regulatory requirements.
The Director will work cross-functionally with global HR business partners, Finance, and Legal to understand business issues and collectively develop effective business solutions. This role will be based out of our HQ-NY Office; we currently have a 3-day-per-week in-office requirement, to work from our Manhattan office.
- Ensure Vita Coco’s compensation programs enable an engaged workforce and attractive value proposition.
- Responsible for the strategy, reporting and implementation of the company's compensation, equity, and incentive programs in line with business needs, culture, and values.
- Provide advice to Vita Coco Leadership on various compensation matters such as salary management and annual merit processes, sales compensation design and job design.
- Develop compensation policies and procedures to provide consistency and governance, and analyze and monitor results including annual total rewards process, off-cycle processes and other performance and compensation-related changes.
- Manage Pay & Benefits Manager and work closely with Talent Acquisition to benchmark positions and develop competitive total reward packages including base, long-term equity, and variable compensation.
- Manage key relationships across global shared services teams in HR, Finance, Tax, and Legal in support of Compensation programs.
- Ensure compliance with federal and state reporting requirements including ACA, FLSA and Equal Pay Act, DOL, Wage & Hour, and other regulations as they relate to compensation.
- Responsible for managing payroll systems and implementation of any system improvements and upgrades.
- Ensure proper payment of US employees in a multi-state environment by directing the production and issuance of paychecks or electronic transfers.
- Interface with internal and external individuals, departments and agencies to answer questions, resolve issues, provide required reports, obtain and share information related to payroll or payroll procedures.
- Maintain and supervise the maintenance of payroll records and databases to ensure efficient responses to all payroll related requests.
- Review payroll calculations for non-exempt, exempt staff, bonus and commission payments, sick, vacation, holiday and leave payment calculations.
- Partner with Finance to develop and manage any compensation accruals and provide information for forecasts.
- Execute various secure data feeds to off-site benefits and third-party administration vendors for 401(k) and benefit providers.
- Manage 401k reporting and compliance.
- In partnership with Finance and Legal, support the administration of the company’s equity plan, by having a thorough understanding of plan documents, preparing communication for plan participants and assisting in auditing systems to ensure accuracy of data (company allocations, employee earnings, etc.)
- Manage the processes and act as the subject matter expert to ensure effective coordination and accuracy of all activities between payroll, HRIS, accounting, legal and the vendor for equity grants and vesting events.
- Ensure compliance with relevant SOX controls.
- In partnership with Finance and Legal, collect and prepare compensation related data for public disclosure (e.g., SEC Forms 10-K, proxy statement, etc.)
Benefits Plan & Administration
- Ensure that benefit programs are competitive and cost-effective by monitoring and analyzing programs, evaluating expenses, plan design effectiveness, and identifying opportunities for improving designs.
- Oversee the design and implementation of a full suite of benefits including vendor selection, budgeting, and modeling as well as all employee communication and training.
- Ensure appropriate oversight of the administration of the health plans, which include medical, dental, life, disability, 401(k) and other executive plans.
- Develop processes and procedures to drive efficiencies as well as respond to employee inquiries.
- Creates processes and policies to maintain and ensure compliance with applicable regulation laws and other federal & state reporting by monitoring and responding to new and emerging benefits legislation.
- Complete regulatory and compliance-related tests and questionnaires as required (401k nondiscrimination testing, Form 5500, ACA Reporting).
- Must have 8+ years of experience designing, implementing, and providing direction to compensation and equity functions at publicly traded companies in the U.S. SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP highly preferred.
- In-depth knowledge and expertise in benefits, compensation, equity and payroll compliance and delivery services.
- Experience designing and managing benefits programs, including Health, Welfare, Wellness and 401 (k).
- Understanding of COBRA, ERISA, HIPAA, FMLA, Paid Leaves and other related benefit regulations.
- Comfortable presenting on company trainings and learning events.
- Ability to influence throughout all levels of the organization, as well as externally.
- Significant customer and business partner orientation.
- Excellent strategic and tactical skills, and an ability to solve problems and set priorities.
- Capable of leading organizational change, including a proven ability to manage resistance.
- Prefer experience within the Consumer-Packaged Goods, Beverage, or related industries.
The Vita Coco Company is committed to the principles of equal employment. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing equal employment opportunities, and all other employment laws and regulations. It is our intent to maintain a work environment that is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation because of age, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sex, sexual orientation (including transgender status, gender identity or expression), physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, AIDS/HIV status, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. The Company is dedicated to the fulfillment of this policy in regard to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay, and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.
At The Vita Coco Company, compensation decisions are dependent upon a variety of factors, which may include, but are not limited to: skill set, experience, education, training, licensure and certifications, knowledge and abilities of the applicant, alignment with market data, and other business and organizational needs. A reasonable estimate of the current pay range for this position is $100,000-$130,000. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at 10% of base salary. This range may vary for positions that will be performed outside of California, Colorado, Nevada, New York City, Westchester County, NY, Rhode Island, or Washington.